Fragrant To Pungent - 10 Basic Scent Categories That Humans Can Smell
Similar to our taste buds being able to discern between categories of flavors and our vision helping us separate and name colors like blue and red, humans are also able to differentiate between 10 different scent groupings.
Scent Your Space By Category
For most people, scents can be categorized into these 10 unique categories. Most are either pleasant or appetizing and help us determine scents that are safe. The last few are scents that can warn us of potential harm or of general distaste.
- Fragrant (e.g. florals and perfumes)
- Fruity (all non-citrus fruits)
- Citrus (e.g. lemon, lime, orange)
- Woody and resinous (e.g. pine or fresh cut grass)
- Sweet (e.g. chocolate, vanilla, caramel)
- Minty and peppermint (e.g. eucalyptus and camphor)
- Toasted and nutty (e.g popcorn, peanut butter, almonds)
- Chemical (e.g. ammonia, bleach)
- Pungent (e.g. blue cheese, cigar smoke)
- Decayed (e.g. rotting meat, sour milk)
Which category is most appealing to your sense of smell? We're certain you'll be able to find a favorite scent that fits when you visit our Fragrance Wall. We carry an extensive selection of 80+ premium fragrance oils at Urban Wick Candle Bar for you to create a custom blend. With our trained scent designers' assistance, we will help you craft a combination of unique scents that are one of a kind for use in your next candle pour or when scenting our hand sanitizers, lotions, and soaps.
Leave a comment